I told everyone I would go to Korea when I graduated. I wasn't lying. I hope you enjoy reading about my first adventure as an adult as much as I enjoy having it. (In case you were wondering, the title of the blog isn't an acronym for anything. It's from one of my favorite songs. See first post.)

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Dongbyun Idol!

Yesterday, we had no classes, just multiple talent shows! The first one was an English pop song cover contest. Some of the songs students sang were "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, "Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5, "Because of You" by Kelly Clarkson and "Creep" by Radiohead. The funny thing is, they didn't censor them at all. I cringed but also laughed a little when the Radiohead boys sang "You're so fucking special"...

I have some videos of this show but they won't upload here for some reason. The "I'm Yours" performance is on my Facebook.

Before the next show they had an intermission where they played some games and stuff. During one of them, there were about 10 students on stage and then they were told to go find a teacher. Two boys ended up without one so they called me and the vice principal on stage. It took me a while to realize they were talking to me but eventually I was on stage paired with one of my students. The kids seemed excited that I was getting involved. I had no idea what the activity was and my partner didn't speak English very well so luckily, one of my advanced students was there to translate: "Follow this action. If he does like this, you do like this." So basically, the students would dance and the teachers were supposed to copy them. My partner didn't have very interesting dance moves, so we were eliminated fairly early but it was fun.

The next show was a Korea pop song/dance cover show. This one was a lot of fun to watch. It was clear that the students put A LOT of work into their performances. For some reason this is the only video that will upload, but it was also one of my favorites.

"Dongbyun Style" 

The stars of Dongbyun Style!

After this show, there was a classical music show in a small auditorium where students played instruments. I only saw about half of it. Two girls played piano together, a 3rd grade (US-9th) boy played violin, and then a group of 13 students played piano, violin, flute and cello. That one was especially beautiful. 

They also had artwork displayed in the entryway of the school.


Needless to say, there are some really talented students at this school. After seeing all this, I actually have a lot more respect for them. Most of them go to private academies for more classes after school and on top of that, they practice instruments and were coming to school on weekends and after school to practice their performances for the talent show.

Yesterday was cool, not only because of all the performances, but I also got a chance to talk to some of the students outside of the classroom environment.

Three girls did a cover dance to this song and I really wish I would have recorded it. They were joined by three boys who did the dance with them for about 30 seconds, it was hilarious.


Artist: Orange Caramel
Song: Lipstick
Album: Lipstick
Released: September 2012

4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog on the EduCon website randomly and thought its really cool. My boyfriend and I are hoping/planning on going to korea Fall 2013. Its nice to see you graduated in May then made it to Korea by August, we were a little nervous because we can't get our transcripts until june 10th, seems like we would be cutting it close. Did you have any major problems with graduating late/applying before you graduated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely not! You should be fine. I didn't get my diploma until July and I was fine. It was a little stressful having to wait for everything since I had just graduated, but in the end I got everything ready in time. Good choice checking out Educon, I highly recommend them. They should be able to answer most of your questions, but if there's anything I can answer for you, just let me know!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reply! I meant your blog was really cool haha. I wasn't sure which recruiter to use, in fact I had never really heard of Educon or anyone using Educon. Everyone is always talking about Korvia so who knows, we're not sure when to apply. November is way to early but we're excited to get going. When did you apply? (then you sent your diploma in later?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started applying in January, which was plenty early, especially considering I didn't have all my documents yet. And yeah, I scanned my diploma to EduCon when I received it in the mail in July and they got it appostilled and sent out to EPIK. I've never heard of Korvia, but if people are saying good things about them, I'm sure they're fine. I can only speak from experience about EduCon and I was really happy with them.

      Delete