I told everyone I would go to Korea when I graduated. I wasn't lying. I hope you enjoy reading about my first adventure as an adult as much as I enjoy having it. (In case you were wondering, the title of the blog isn't an acronym for anything. It's from one of my favorite songs. See first post.)

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Putting Korea's Mountains to Use!

In the past four years I have not been doing nearly enough snowboarding, as Illinois is SUPER flat. Because of this, I was really excited when I found out about a ski trip being organized in Daegu. There's this group called "Explore Korea Daegu Travel Group" and they put together various events for (mostly) foreigners.

We left this past Saturday at about 7am for High1 Resort in Gangwon province. It was a huge group- three buses full of people. The trip took about four hours and then we stopped to rent ski clothes. I've never heard of people renting jackets and snowpants and stuff but it's a good thing that was an option, since most of us hadn't brought any of that stuff to Korea. In fact, many of the people who went had never even seen snow before. That absolutely blows my mind haha...

After we got our ski clothes, we went to the resort and had lunch before heading to our rooms. I was in the biggest room with 14 other people. There were no beds, just a lot of sleeping pads for the floor. This is actually pretty common in Korea. After dropping our stuff off in the rooms, we went to rent our boards/skiis. I ended up with boots that were too big but I didn't really realize the extent of it until I was boarding. It was difficult but I made it work. We had a little over two hours to board before dinner. It was awesome. I mean...the quality of the snow wasn't very good but the place was big and it was really exciting to be snowboarding after so long. Most of the people in my room took a ski lesson in the beginning so I mostly hung out with people who already knew how. Snowboarding tends to turn into a solo thing once you're off the lift but it's cool to have some people to ride up with.

Riding the gondola with Roger, Winnie and Adam.

After dinner we could either go back out again, hang out in the outdoor hot tubs, or just sit in the rooms. I did want to check out the hot tubs but I wanted to get as much snowboarding in as possible. I switched out my boots and went back out. It was better this time since I had better boots but it was colder. We didn't stay out as long this time because we had to get ready for the party later that night.

The party was about 5 minutes from the resort and it was pretty fun. They had free chicken, fries and beer and we played some drinking games and there was a little dancing.

At the party with Courtney and Michelle.

The party ended at 1:30am and we went back to the resort. There was a bit of an after party that ended up happening in our room but a lot of us were too tired/didn't feel like having a hangover in the morning so we went to bed early. 

The next morning we skipped breakfast and ordered Domino's instead. It was a bit of a challenge since they didn't speak English but eventually, we just had the lady at the front desk of the resort order it for us. The time before we left was pretty relaxed. We just packed up our stuff, had some coffee in one of the main buildings and then took the group picture and got on the bus. 


We were back in Daegu around 6pm on Sunday evening.

This is very fitting...
Artist: Girls' Generation
Song: Snowy Wish
Album: Hoot
Released: October 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment