I told everyone I would go to Korea when I graduated. I wasn't lying. I hope you enjoy reading about my first adventure as an adult as much as I enjoy having it. (In case you were wondering, the title of the blog isn't an acronym for anything. It's from one of my favorite songs. See first post.)

Monday, August 20, 2012

Taekwondo and Getting Started

I'm doing two posts today because I didn't want that last one to be too long. This one is going to be about what we did today. We went to breakfast at around 8:15am and then had a little over an hour before our campus tour. This was the first time we were divided into our separate "classes". Basically they just need to be able to split us into smaller groups. Everyone in my group is going to Daegu like me, so that's pretty nice. We have two class leaders, Korean girls named Song and Ellie, who both speak very good English. They gave us a really quick tour of the parts of the campus we would need to know. After that, we had another break before lunch and then the welcome ceremony. This part of the day was awesome. They had two performances for us. The first was Korean traditional drums and the second was the Jeonju taekwondo team. They were SUPER entertaining and extremely talented. After the performances they had representatives from the university speak, as well as a man who works for EPIK who is originally from Canada but has lived here for 14 years. He talked a little about the history of Korea and gave us some advice.


After the welcome, we split into our classes again and went to classrooms. Here, Song and Ellie went over the orientation schedule and we chose which level Korean language class we wanted to take. I originally chose level two but they said they encouraged some people to do three to even it out, so I decided to give it a try. I guess we'll see how that goes. We also had to "elect" a class leader from one of our own and, long story short, it's me. I'm still not exactly sure what that even entails. I guess that's another thing to wait and find out. 

We had another short break and then it was time for the welcome dinner. This dinner had more food than most of the meals and we sat with our classes again. We were free after that so a bunch of us went and got some ice cream and then a guy named Korey and I split off and joined some other EPIK people at a bar down the street. They played almost 100% Girls' Generation there so I was basically in heaven! 

Tomorrow we have our health check and I'll be glad when that's over so I can finally take headache medicine again!



Artist: Girls' Generation
Song: Run Devil Run
Album: Oh! Repackage
Released: March 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment